- Weed out the white flour, HFCS, white/brown sugar, MSG (and all the other names for it)
- Drink more water, eat more fruits and veggies, buy as much organic as money allows.
Really our family has been on a healthier eating path for many years. It seems that each time I read a book like this, we come another step or two closer to how I'd love to live. One thing I realized by reading this book (that wasn't even discussed in the book) is that for me, my husband, and my SEVEN children - good eating is something that I'm willing to spend more money on. For some people, food is a great place to save money. Not for us.
Also, here is how the changes are really fleshed out around here.
- no more Mrs. Butterworths HFCS syrup - moving to pure maple syrup
- no more white flour in stuff - replacing with whole wheat. This will affect the taste of dutch babies, obviously.
- MSG (in it's various forms) is in way more stuff than I realized - like my Progresso bread crumbs. Weed that stuff out of the house and find a good alternative or make my own. Did you know that MSG can be included in stuff under the ingredient "spices"?
- no more white or brown sugar...and less honey. Working on alternatives for this. Agave nectar has gone over well as has pure maple syrup.
- We are already big water drinkers around here, but I'd like to invest in stainless steal water bottles like these. Anyone want to invest in some as gifts for us??
- Cereal is pretty much out. Gross stuff in most of it. The healthy, organic options are just not cost worthy, so now we're coming up with other breakfast options like homemade granola - oatmeal is relatively cheap.
What are you doing to become more healthy?
Breathe your life!